Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sunday Musings. . .




I love that the Sabbath is different from every other day. As I woke up today, it was raining and smelled so clean. I loved it. Luckily I finished my talk for Sacrament Meeting last night (okay, this morning at 2 a.m.) so all that I had to do was print it. I titled it "Finding Happiness and Joy in Keeping the Commandments." It was taken from the first seven chapters of Mosiah where King Benjamin delivers his final sermon and lays down the law to his people. Don't you just love King Benjamin. I also referenced Elder Bednar's talk from General Conference last week, an Elder Maxwell talk, and quotes from Joseph Smith and Elder Hales. I can't remember the last time I gave a talk, but I am always grateful for the opportunity. My testimony of repentance, the atonement, and keeping the commandments was really edified. I felt really good about how it came together and my delivery, but after the meeting the first counselor in the bishopric told me that my new career could be as a Baptist preacher. I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or not? Later though, he told me to submit to the Ensign; can you do that?


Yesterday, as I was returning from the grocery store (an errand I loathe, especially on a Saturday afternoon), I saw this cottontail bunny at my house. I have wild bunnies, birds, and foxes all over the condo property and the bunnies are definitely my favorite. I couldn't believe how close he let me approach him, but I just had to have this shot.


Before I went to the store I watched Legally Blonde the Musical, which is currently playing on Broadway, on television. I have been so excited for this broadcast because not only do I love the movie and love musicals, but my friend and former student Annaleigh Ashford made her Broadway debut in it this past April. She was a darling girl even in high school and incredibly talented. We all knew that she would make it to the "great white way," and there she was singing and dancing her heart out. She is hilarious as Margot and does a trick with Elle's dog Bruiser. She is the very first person that you see at the top of the show. Luckily this was taped when she was still in the show, during her last week actually. As of October 9th she assumed the role of Glinda in Wicked on Broadway! Woo HOO! Check your local listings for more times when LB will be aired on MTV. You won't be disappointed as it is positively pink!

3 comments:

Robin said...

We unfortunately don't have cable at my house (my husband Mark and I are weird in that we don't watch much TV...the shows we do watch, we just download), but my mom said she recorded Legally Blonde, so I'm excited to watch it the next time I am "back home" in CO. (:

I'm so excited for Annaleigh, she has so much talent - I always knew she would be "big." (:

charlotte said...

That's awesome about Annaleigh and I too love rainy Saturdays. I think you can submit to the Ensign; I submitted to the New Era when I was 15 and they paid me $100 so I'm sure you could successfully submit something to the Ensign. I think you just need to write a cover letter and send it in; that's what I did for the New Era and it worked just fine. Good luck!

Emily said...

I love the Sabbath day as well! Even though I spent last Sunday on the Strip with Danielle Son. I'm sure your talk was amazing and I do think that you can submit talks to the Ensign. I think you should!! I loved the picture of the bunny. So cute.

I actually did see a bit of LB on MTV the other day. It was the last few minutes. I thought, could this be true, LB is a musical? I will have to check it out. How great for your friend Annaleigh. She is adorable. What amazing talent.