Saturday, November 17, 2007

Devouring Books!

I am constantly reading and have read even more books than usual because I have been sharing books with friends. I find that when I make time to edify myself and enjoy great writing, I am more fulfilled and happy. I also get a lot less sleep because I read before bed and have found myself awake at 3 and 4 in the morning-whoa! A few nights ago I finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. This novel was heartbreaking, but kept me reading because of the fine turn of phrase and depth of understanding. This novel explores the consequences of split second decisions and the ways that each decision small and large affects our lives and others' for good or ill. There is also a thematic element of society's reaction to down syndrome from the 1960's to the 1990's. Another theme is how music can truly heal and soothe one's soul. One of my favorite parts is "Music is like you touch the pulse of the world. Music is always happening and sometimes you get to touch it for a while, and when you do you know that everything's connected to everything else." I love the idea that through music and creativity we are able to connect more deeply with one another and that we can understand the bigger picture.



This week my Relief Society book club also met and discussed the novels Light on Snow by Anita Shreve and These is My Words by Nancy Turner. We only discussed two because our last book club was cancelled after I had some major time conflicts last time. It was interesting to get together with other women and discuss our reactions to writing about and by women. We liked the idea that it is important to continue learning and to find ways to be productive. We also discussed how one never knows how one will react to tragedy until it occurs, but that a foundation in the gospel helps us to have a rock to cling to.

Last night I began the newest Dean Hughes novel. It is set during the depression and has LDS themes as well. I am only 30 pages in, but am enjoying it already!

No comments: