Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Girls' Night Out: Pride and Prejudice

What a treat! This evening I went to see the play Pride & Prejudice with my cute friends Elisa and Noell. We are in the same ward and these great girls have become good friends to me. We all love Jane Austen's classic story and have read the novel numerous times, seen all of the film versions (BBC, A&E, Keira Knightly, Pink LDS, Bollywood, etc. . .) more than five times each, read spin-off stories, saw the Jane Austen movie, and more. Needless to say, we were all so excited to see this stage version presented by the Denver Center Theatre Company and what a
spectacular show! I wish that you all could see it because my description will hardly do it justice. The costumes were gorgeous made out of silks and taffetas with beautiful coats, capes, purses, and lovely headwear. The set was two stories with incredible scenic painting of the English countryside. There were multiple doors and entryways with sliding doors in some of the areas that made the comedy even more pointed. Though the set was basically the same for all scenes, there were furniture pieces, curtains, an arbor, bushes, and a large painting of the beautiful Mr. Darcy that moved on and off on a sliding system and using "servants" as well. Though a most aesthetically pleasing view, the adaptation of the novel was spot on and the acting excellent! The dialects were perfect and the use of the comedic "beat" and longer pauses were perfect. Oh how culture edifies my heart! There were some times when the audience gasped and I was shocked that not everyone knew this timely tale, but be it your first or one of many experiences with this story, it was perfect. I saw several students at this particular performance as well and am always excited that they are choosing the theatre instead of the many other forms of recreation that come their way. The girls and I had such a great time on the town. It is always nice to have a reason to dress up and visit the city, especially for theatre! After the show, we went to the Rock Bottom Brewery for dinner and talked until 11:30. Whoa! I am glad that I don't have to work early tomorrow, though I do have A LOT to do. What is your favorite adaptation of this novel? What is your favorite form of uplifting recreation?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I think that I heard that the movie "Clueless" is an adaptation of Pride & Prejudice also--I could be wrong on that. There are some parallels. I love going to the theatre also and good company always makes for a better time. My favorite form of 'uplifting recreation' is always to get together with my favorite girl friends and chat. I just wish you lived closer so we could visit more often! Last week for a friend's B-day we went to the "Melting Pot" and had chocolate fondue and talked forever. It was the perfect evening.

Amanda :-) said...

I remember reading 'Emma' by Jane Austen for my A Level English Lit exam, when I was about 17/18 yrs old. None of us in the class could appreciate it, and kept whinging that we hated it.

Our teacher advised us to read 'Letters to Alice - on First Reading Jane Austen' by Fay Weldon. It was fabulous. Have you read it? I thoroughly recommend it.

My form of uplifting relaxation if for my husband and I to go to the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester and listen to a classical concert. Port and Lemon for the interval!